Thursday, May 9, 2013

A shout-out to my award-winning dear, sweet wife!

Last week my wife, Sherri, received the highly prestigous DAISY Faculty Award.  Recipients of this award are nurse educators whose expertise and excellence are demonstrated in their role as teachers of students studying nursing.  Sherri, who is a professor in the nursing department at Grand Canyon University, was presented the award by Dr. Anne McNamara, director of the College of Nursing at GCU.

DAISY is an acronym for Diseases Attacking the Immune System.  The DAISY Foundation was formed by the family of J. Patrick Barnes, who died at age 33 of complications of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP).

Barnes' family was amazed by the skillful and compassionate care he received from his nurses during his hospitalization.  The Foundation was created to recognize those nurses and nurse educators who model the qualities that Barnes' nurses demonstrated during his eight week illness.

Sherri had no idea that she was receiving the award.  I only wish that I could have been there when her name was announced.  No one in my earthly life better models the love and compassion of Jesus Christ than my dear, sweet wife.  I am so proud of her.