Thursday, May 30, 2013

Hang it up, please!

OK, I'm minding my own business while driving south on 83rd Avenue on my way to the office.  Suddenly a huge SUV starts drifting into my lane...it keeps drifting...it keeps drifting...it's gonna hit me!

Do I hit the gas and try to speed around it? Nope! Not enough room.

Do I break and let the SUV take my lane? Quick rear view mirror check...nothing behind me.  Hit the breaks!

And, oh yeah, HONK THE HORN!!

The SUV finally realizes what is happening and jerks the vehicle back into the proper lane.

As I move past the SUV (which is now in a left turn lane) I see that the driver is talking on his cell phone!

Come on! Do you really have to talk on the phone while you're driving?

Navigating traffic in the Phoenix area requires full concentration.  We have people driving here who have no idea where their turn signal is.  Some believe a yellow light is just as good as green.  Others drive as if the speed limit was just a suggestion.

Please, stay off the phone while driving! Do it as a favor to me.  When that SUV began its assault against my poor, defenseless Mini-Cooper, my life flashed before my eyes.

Growing up in Massachusetts in a large family.  Playing touch football with my brothers and sisters.  Commanding PT 109.  Writing "Profiles in Courage."

Suddenly, I realized, "This isn't even my life!"

So put your phone away and stay in your own lane.  My insurance company and I will appreciate it!