Thursday, December 5, 2013

Does your work drive you nuts?

Did you answer the question with a resounding "YES!" Then you might find this viewpoint on work from Robert Updegraff helpful:

You ought to be glad for the troubles on your job because they provide about half your income.  If it were not for the things that go wrong, the difficult people with whom you deal, and the problems of your working day, someone would be found to handle your job for half of what you are being paid.  So start looking for more troubles, learn to handle them cheerfully and with good judgment, as opportunities rather than irritations, and you will find yourself getting ahead at a surprising rate.  For there are plenty of big jobs waiting for people who are not afraid of troubles.

Yes, our work will always present us with challenges and the more responsibility you've been charged with, the greater the challenge.  If your work days are filled with pressure, you might pray this prayer, written by Donald Deffner:

It looks like another day of stress Lord
Work piled up that never seems to end
Pressures from those who seek to control me
Unreasonable demands
even from those who love me
Responsibilities which sometimes seem beyond me
What do I do Lord?
Let me begin this day
by thanking You first of all
for life itself
My life
which you have given me
     It is He who has made us and not we ourselves
Then let me
by the power of Your Holy Spirit
affirm my baptism
There you made me Your child
and brought me into Your family
and into eternal life
which I am in now
     Fear not, for I have redeemed you, I have called You by name, You are mine.  Behold, I have graven you on the palms of My hands.
Now Lord
move those blessed assurances
from my head into my heart
Empower me to act today
as Your child
no matter what stressful situations
confront me
As others attempt to put pressure on me
move me to react
as Your gentle loving servant
May I be a "little Christ"
when others confront me
throughout the day
O Lord
as I face what lies ahead of me
be my strength
my guard
my guide in everything I do
Keep me cool
when things heat up
Keep me tender
when I am inclined to be hard
Keep me resilient
when under pressure
Keep me faithful to You
in all things
In the strong Name of Jesus Christ
Amen.

Prayer from "Prayers for People Under Pressure" (Northwestern Publishing House)