Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The importance of being simple

Some people love to play God.

God doesn't understand what marriage is all about.  Let's change it.  God doesn't get that it's my body and I can do what I want.  Let's abort it.  God doesn't realize that when I have a terminal illness then I be able to die with dignity.  Let's end it.

We live in a post-modern culture where my truth is just as good as your truth and as long as I'm not hurting you I should be able to do whatever I want.

The problem is that the new normal about marriage hurts me.  The problem with the new normal about life and death hurts me.

What to do? Dietrich Bonhoeffer has a suggestion.

To be simple is to fix one's eyes solely on the simple truth of God at a time when all concepts are being confused, distorted and turned upside down.

We can take our cues from the world or we can take them from the Word.

Know the simple truth of God's Word that makes so much sense in a world that seems more confused every day.  Trust in the power and authority of that Word.  It gives peace in the midst of chaos and leads to eternal life.

Remember the KISS principle? Keep It Simple and...well, you know the rest.

Bonhoeffer reminds us that our hope is in the simple and solid truth of God's Word.  Let it be your soul's anchor, today and forever.