Monday, November 3, 2014

We have a Savior who can sympathize with us!

In rereading a familiar text - John 11:17-37 - this morning, I made the following observations:

In verse 20, there is a role reversal - it's Martha who is with Jesus instead of Mary.

But in verse 28, Jesus calls for Mary.

In verse 32 it's Mary who has the complaint (remember when Jesus visited Martha and Mary? Martha complained about her sister who wasn't helping her).  But notice Mary's posture - she kneels in worship.  And her complaint expresses her faith in Jesus - "Lord, if you had been here my brother would not have died."  (Yes, Martha expressed the same complaint - but also in faith).

I was also struck by Martha's faith:
verse 22 - I know that whatever you ask from God...
verse 24 - I know that (my brother) will rise again in the resurrection...
verse 27 - I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God...

I know...I know...I believe.

But I was also struck by Christ's compassion.  He did not wait on Mary to come to Him; He called for her.  He was moved by those who were mourning Lazarus' passing.  He wept.

We do have a Savior who can sympathize with us! And because He is the resurrection and the life, what He did for Lazarus, He will do for us.  On the Last Day all the dead will be raised and those who trusted in Jesus for forgiveness, new life, and salvation will be gathered by the Lord and ushered into heaven.

This is good news for a Monday!