Monday, November 9, 2015

Meet Martin Luther

You would assume that those who attend Lutheran Churches know at least something about Martin Luther.

But I've been a little surprised but very encouraged by the response I've received to the Sunday morning Bible class we been going through on the life of Luther.

One person said to me, "I guess I really didn't understand what the Reformation was all about. Luther was fighting for people to read and learn the Bible."

Someone else said, "Either Luther was stubborn or really courageous.  Either way, it took guts to stand up to the Pope and the King."

Finally, one of our members said, "I'm going home to check out Amazon and buy some books on Luther.  Got any recommendations?"

Here's two: "Here I Stand" by Roland Bainton is a classic.  It provides a very thorough review of the reformer's life.  A newer version is 'Luther the Reformer" by James Kittelson.  I first read Kittelson at the seminary.  Since then I've reread his book twice and continue to discover new revelations about Luther.

If you're looking to sink your teeth into Luther I highly recommend the books by Kittelson or Bainton.

Get ready to be amazed by the life of Martin Luther!