Tuesday, February 23, 2016

God never grows tired of hearing from you

Author John Fischer writes: I have a bad habit.  When my children tell me something they've learned for the first time, I often act as if I knew that.

When my wife hears something "new" from the kids, her mouth drops open and her eyes widen.  It's as if she had never heard this kind of thing before.  The kids' faces brighten, and they feel as if they have actually enlightened their mother.

I used to think my wife wasn't just acting and sooner or later the kids would find out and feel lied to. Then I realized it isn't an act at all.  Though she may already have experienced what they are trying to tell her, she's never experienced it through them.  Their personal "revelations" are entirely new.

It's the same with God.  As all-knowing as He is, I'm sure He's still eager to hear our prayers because He has never heard it quite the way we say it.  We are all unique.  We have our own signature attached to all we do and say.  Our lives, our experiences, and our faith expressed to Him are never old.

We've all had a time or two in our lives when we've prayed and prayed to God about a problem with which we're struggling.  In fact, we've prayed so often that we're convinced that God has heard just about enough from us on the subject.

Not so! Instead, we have this promise from the Psalms: "I call on the Lord in my distress, and He answers me."  (Psalm 120:1)  So pray, my friends.  It doesn't matter if you've offered a particular prayer petition 50 times.  Pray it again.  Tell God your troubles.  He never grows tired of hearing from you!