Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Yearning for a different Lenten Season

I always look forward to Lent.  I like the idea of having some time to really reflect about life with God.  I look forward to having some time to think about those areas of my life that need reformation and change.  It is refreshing to be able to approach God's throne of grace and pray, "Lord, I  believe. Help my unbelief!"

I yearn to slow down and take time to focus on Jesus - His amazing grace, His sacrificial love, His willingness to give up His own life just to save a sinner like me.

But every year I end up a slave to my to-do list.  My use of time is determined by others.  By the time Holy Week rolls around, I'm running on fumes and hoping I can keep going until 12 noon on Easter Sunday.

May this Lenten season be different.  May it be less about "to-do" and more about what Jesus has "done" for me.  May it be about keeping appointments with God for reading and reflection, about repentance and faith.  May it be more about receiving the refreshment worship and the Lord Supper offers to repentant children of God.

Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!