Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Having a depressed person in the family is like...

I have written on a few occasions about my battle with depression.  This is an illness that I've been able to manage pretty well for the past 20 years or so.  In early 2016 I had a change of medications that made me feel really great. I dropped the other medication that I'd been taking for five previous years - I felt that I didn't needed it anymore.  But the great feeling faded pretty fast.  By September of last year the black cloud descended on me in a way I had never experienced before. 

Since then, life has been like a roller coaster ride, with lots of ups and downs.  There are days when I feel pretty good, like my normal self.  I'm positive, optimistic and have lots of energy.  But sure to follow are the days when it's a victory just to get out of bed.  I go down to church and try to look like all is well - I hate to worry some of the members of church who are concerned about my condition.  But everything seems like it takes a massive effort and I get home at the end of the day exhausted and feeling guilty, that I've let so many people down who need my ministry but didn't get it because I couldn't do it.  And that's the way it's been for the past 13 months.

I recorded this quote from the golf analyst and interviewer, David Feherty, who also suffers greatly from depression: Having a depressed person in the family is like having a death in the family. At least the dead person has the decency to not be around anymore.

So, having a depressed person in the family creates a special burden.  My dear, sweet wife wants to help so badly.  She hates to see me hurting.  And there are those at church who know how tough life is for me and they will do anything to support me.  I know there are people praying that the dark cloud will lift. That's a blessing.

If you have a depressed person in your family or know of something who is suffering, you can do a few things for them.  Be patient and know that they want to feel better and normal.  Be supportive and understanding and cut them a little extra slack when they forget to do something or fail to show enthusiasm for something that is important to you.  Be prayerful and continue to lift up that person before the Lord's throne of grace in prayer.  In my case, I know that God loves me, considers me His child in baptism, and will see me through this present situation.  And for the person suffering from depression, that's the best news of all.