Monday, November 25, 2019

Won't You Be My Neighbor?



My dear, sweet wife and I went to the movie theatre to see the new film that is based on the life of Fred Rogers, the beloved creator of "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood."  The film is getting five star reviews all over the country (expect by our local newspaper which I just don't understand) and I wouldn't be surprised to see Tom Hanks picking up a Best Actor nomination for his superb portrayal of Mr. Rogers.

When we were raising our kids, we skipped Mr. Rogers for "Sesame Street" and "The Electric Company."  The two programs mentioned above were fine shows.  But, looking back now, they lacked the charm of "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood," and probably shortened the attention span of millions of kids, what with the quick cuts and short segments the programs were built around.

While the film is not overtly Christian, "Won't You Be My Neighbor" doesn't shy away from showing how faith in Jesus was important in Fred Rogers life and how that faith provided motivation for treating people with kindness, especially children.

As we drove home, a couple of verses from St. Matthew 22 kept rolling around in my mind: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind...Love your neighbor as yourself.

We see Mr. Rogers living out "The Greatest Commandment" as it is often called.  Obviously, it is no accident that Mr. Rogers began each program with the question, "Won't you be my neighbor?" And when you find someone so welcoming, so loving with a gentle voice and heart to match, well, wouldn't you want to be that person's neighbor?

I'm not going to get into the details of the film because I'd like you to see it for yourself.  But today I will ask the Lord to enkindle in me the kindness and neighborliness of Fred Rogers.  Better yet, I'll ask the Lord to enkindle in me the kindness, mercy and love of Jesus, the best "neighbor," friend and Savior any of us will ever need have.