Monday, July 26, 2021

Love, love going to church


For as long as I can remember, I have loved going to church.  Sitting quietly in a pew with my parents and sister, I watched as others came to ready themselves for worship.  Many would quietly come and sit, bow their heads and pray.  Some, like my Mom, would check the hymn boards in the front of the church and mark the hymns to be sung with the ribbons in the book.  And finally, as the pastor took his place in the chancel, the church would become still.  It was time for worship.  God was ready once again to bless His people.

Singing the hymns was fun.  Learning to participate in the liturgy was special; over time I came to realize that the liturgy was nothing more than hearing God's Word and repeating His Word back to Him.  I didn't always understand the sermon but I knew the pastor was teaching us about Jesus and that was good.  My parents taught me that I could put some of my allowance in the offering plate and I do so (when I remembered).  Bowing our heads and folding our hands to pray made it feel like I was praying to God Himself! And that's what I was doing! As the service ended, I noticed that people were happy.  Long faces now sported smiles.  People were greeted with firm handshakes and heartfelt hugs.  And off would go my sister and i to Sunday school to learn more about our Friend and Savior, Jesus.  There was no better place to be on Sunday than at church.

David, the writer of Psalm 61 would agree.  In verse three he wrote, "For You have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe."  David cries out to God to express his longing to be in the Lord's house.  When overwhelmed by life's problems or pressured by wily adversaries, David knew that God's house offered a shelter where he could rest in the peace and comfort that God gives His children.

God will give that same peace and comfort to you.  Go and meet your Lord every Sunday at worship.