Monday, September 27, 2021

Don't be anxious!

My mother was an anxious person.  She grew up during the Depression when times were tough for so many people.  While at a young age, she suffered when several family members passed away.  Her first husband died, leaving her with a young son.  She knew pain and disappointment and uncertainty and so she worried about everything.

I guess I inherited my sense of anxiety from my Mom.  I, too, at times, can become too anxious about people, responsibilities and situations I face.  I dislike very much what worry does to me.  I feel like a fishing boat lost in a perfect storm, being tossed to and fro by thoughts and feelings of doubt and fear.

That's why Paul's words to the Philippians mean so much to me and probably to you as well:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  (4:6)

Here Paul offers the perfect antidote for worry - prayer! When feeling anxious or overwhelmed, this verse reminds me to call "time-out."  When the dark shadows of worry begin to pass over and cover me, Paul says, "present your requests to God."  The message is clear - pray!

Are you, like me, given to let anxiety rule your day? Why not commit this verse from Philippians to memory.  Let it remind you again and again of what to do when you are about to be overcome by worry and fear.  Take these feelings to your loving Heavenly Father.  God will exchange your anxiety for His peace.  You can't find a better offer!