Saturday, October 30, 2021

It was a "good" friday

Yesterday was my final day of work at Life in Christ.  For the past three weeks I've been slowly cleaning out my office.  Books not going home were delivered to Goodwill and Savers.  Files were combed through, taking some home and shredding the rest.  As I looked around my office it began to look like it did when I moved into it 13 years ago.

I went out to lunch with our office staff and a few other folks for soup and salad at Olive Garden.  While there we discovered that our server was a Christian who hadn't really connected with a church.  She asked if she could bring her grandchildren to church with her.  Everyone at our table began to tell the server that LICL was a great church, had a place for her and her grandchildren and had warm and friendly people who would greet her.  I was so proud of them.  Their enthusiasm was off the charts and we're praying this nice woman will come sometime to worship with us.

Then in the evening, my family celebrated my anniversary.  I walked in the door to my oldest daughter's house to see a banner, "The Legend has Retired!"  We had a delicious dinner with pasta and steak, my favorites.  My dear, sweet wife gave me a new set of golf clubs.  I was told that if I needed to make excuses for a poor shot or bad round of golf, I could not blame the clubs! My kids gave me a gift card to play the TPC course in Scottsdale - a bucket list item.  I couldn't not believe their generosity.  God has blessed me with a loving and caring family.

Today, I head down to church to practice with The Beatitudes, a great group of guys.  We're playing a few songs tomorrow during my retirement celebration.  At 1 pm, I'll picked up the guest speaker for our services at 8 and 10 am.  Rev. Dr. Glenn Nielsen gave the message at my ordination and installation service.  Tomorrow he will speak at my retirement service.  He had the first word almost 25 years ago; on Sunday he'll get the last word.  Then later in the afternoon, our dear friends, Dan and Janelle Berteau will join us.

I really don't feel worthy of all this attention.  But I am grateful to God for surrounding me with a loving family and caring congregation.  I am blessed.