Sunday, March 6, 2022

A devotion for busy people -Treasuring God's Word!

TGW – March  7-12, 2022

Monday, March 7, 2022                                       Read Genesis 3:14-23

Of vs. 15, Martin Luther wrote: “This passage contains in itself everything noble and glorious that is to be found anywhere in the Scriptures.”  Adam and Eve fail to listen to God, eat of the forbidden fruit, and plunge the world into sin.  Satan’s victory is short lived.  Jesus will come to destroy the devil’s work and grant eternal life to all who believe in Him.  Pray: Lord, equip me with “the sword of the Spirit,” Your Holy Word, to turn back the devil’s temptations.  Amen.

 

Tuesday, March 8, 2022                                       Read Genesis 4:1-8

Eve discovers the joy of holding her baby in her arms.  But then our reading takes a terrible turn.  Cain’s offering, given with a selfish heart, is unacceptable to God.  And Cain can’t stand it when his brother’s offering is received.  Cain lures Abel to a place where it’s just the two of them.  But as his parents learned, you can’t hide from God.  Pray: God, you know all things, even my secret sins.  Forgive me and restore a right relationship with You.  Amen.

 

Wednesday, March 9, 2022                                Read Psalm 25

Like so many of the Psalms, this one makes an excellent prayer.  Here David prays for a faith that trusts in the Lord’s guidance and grace.  “Show me your ways…guide me in your truth…my hope is in You all day long.”  Pray: Lord, Your will is good and right for me.  Help me to keep Your commands for they are Your will for my life.  Amen.

 

Thursday, March 10, 2022                                   Read Matthew 17:14-23

Jesus shows a rare sign of anger and frustration at his disciples.  They struggle in their own strength to cast out the demon instead of remembering Jesus’ word (see Matt. 10:8).  Still, the man’s prayer is answered – Jesus will have mercy on this poor, demon-possessed son.  Pray: Lord, today I approach Your throne of grace to find mercy in my time of need.  Lord, help me with…

 

Friday, March 11, 2022                                         Read Matthew 17-24-27

A short reading packed with much to ponder.  Jesus’s question to Peter is to establish that He, as God’s Son, should not have to pay the tax – sons are exempt.  But Jesus will pay anyway.  In comparison to others, the miracle is often overlooked.  Can you imagine what went through Peter’s mind as he opened the mouth of the fish and found the coin? Pray: Jesus, You are amazing! Help me to remember that nothing is impossible for You.  Hear my prayer about my impossible situation…

 

Saturday, March 12, 2022                                    Read Ephesians 2:1-10

Grace – God’s undeserved favor given to sinful man.  Faith – The gift that gives all people the ability to receive God’s gracious forgiveness and love.  If you haven’t, memorize verses 8 & 9.

Pray: Lord, remind me to give thanks for Your grace as I worship You this weekend.  Amen.