Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Hello 2019!

God's rich blessings to you in 2019! May the new year bring you new hope, fresh opportunities and a pleasant surprise or two!

We were blessed to have all our family with us.  Katie and her crew were here almost three weeks. My wife and I had forgotten what life is like when you have a five year old and a three year old living under your roof - never a dull moment. The boys were especially taken with our new dog, Jake, and he very patiently let them both crawl all over him!

On Christmas Day we were able to have Sherri's folks with us for a few hours.  Both are suffering from failing health so we felt it was really important to find a way for them to join us. Considering all the commotion  going on as presents were opened, the handled things well and were glad to see the joy of their great-grandkids on Christmas Day.

Two-thirds of the family were also able to spend some time after New Year's Day in California.  We were just a few minutes from the beach in Carlsbad so that's where we spent most of our time.  We've vacationed there before so we have our favorite restaurants to visit and I always enjoy spending time at a great music shop - Spin Records.  I always find a few CD's there that I haven't seen anywhere else.  As I checked out, the owner said, "You've got some classics there."  I responded, "At this stage of my life, I'm a classic!"

Today is my first day back in the office.  I need to hit the ground running, as they say.  We have a special witnessing workshop this weekend and I will also meet with our Life Team to play for Life Sunday on the 20th of the month.  I'm also working on a year long ministry theme that didn't get a lot of attention in December; time to get back to planning the first phase which begins on Transfiguration Sunday.

I think most of us approach a new year with optimism.  What 2019 will bring is unknown.  But what we know if that we have a God who loves us, gives us His very best in His Son, Jesus, and promises to watch over our comings and goings continually.  Perhaps the psalmist says it best for you and me:

But I trust in You, O Lord; I say, "You are my God."  My times are in Your hand...  Psalm 31:14-15a,

Happy new year!