Wednesday, January 9, 2019

My reading list for 2018

My love for reading started early.  My dad was an insurance man and one of his clients owned a bookstore.  The store had a large section of children's and young adult books.  Over time, I spent hours looking through the stacks of books.  I especially enjoyed reading books about sports and as I grew older I was captivated by the Chip Hilton series written by Clair Bee.

Since then, reading has continued to be an important part of my life, especially so since becoming a parish pastor.

Reading helps to inform my preparation of sermons and Bible studies.  Reading provides a constant encouragement to polish my writing style.  Biographies and histories often provide fine sermon illustration material. 

Most of all, reading is fun for me. It's a great way to escape the stress of my vocation and imagine myself seated at the feet of Dr. Luther or traveling to London or being backstage with the Beatles.

My goal is to read two books a month or 24 for the year.  This year I got through 35 books, one short of last year's 36.  I read a variety of books.  There were those related to my vocation.  I enjoyed getting acquainted with some new writers of fiction.  And I read some new biographies that were quite interesting. 

So, for what it's worth, here's my Top Ten:\

"Martin Luther" by Eric Metaxas.  I though I knew a lot about the Great Reformer.  But Metaxas is a determined researcher and he enlightened me with facts about Luther's life that I did not know.  One of the best books I read last year.

"Our Way Home" by Daniel Paavola.  This was a refreshingly new take on the Lord's Prayer that really blessed me.  Paavola is a skilled writer who incorporated many stories from his life to help illustrate the meaning of each petition of the prayer that never fails.

"The Girl with the Green Sweater" by Krystyna Criger.  I purchased this book at the Holocaust Museum in Jerusalem on the last day of our trip to the Holy Land.  Criger tells a fascinating story of how, through the kindness of one man, she and her Jewish family were hidden from the Nazis.  Couldn't put the book down.

"The Aging Brain" by Timothy Jennings.  This books offers hope to those who have had family members suffer from diseases like Alzheimer's and Dementia.  Through things like diet and exercise a person can hold off the onset of memory loss and other related issues.  Very helpful book.

"I Will" by Thom S. Rainer.  A short read, Rainer writes to church members to stress the importance of involvement in the mission of the church and its benefits.

"The English Girl" by Daniel Silva.  A member recommended this author to me and I wasn't disappointed to spend time reading this story of intrigue by Silva.  I'll be on the look out for more of his writings. 

"Sound Pictures - the Life of George Martin" by Kenneth Womack.  I have over 100 volumes in my Beatles collection and I was glad to add this book to the growing stack.  Martin is often called "The 5th Beatle" and Womack explains why.

"Keep the Home Fires Burning" by Simon Block.  My dear, sweet wife and I became big fans of the PBS program, "Home Fires."  Unfortunately, the show was cancelled after two seasons.  Block heard from the huge number of fans following the show and wrote this book to continue to push the story along.

"It's OK not to be OK" by Sheila Walsh.  Walsh is a sufferer of anxiety and depression and her book, in effect, gives permission to those who suffer that they don't have to be ashamed and, in fact, can find help and hope in the grace of God.  A very encouraging book.

"Thank, Praise, Serve and Obey" by William Weedon.  This book gives encouragement to practice spiritual disciplines as found in Luther's Small Catechism.  I filled my journal with insights from this passionate writer.

So, there you have it.  Perhaps you'll find something on this list that catches your fancy, as some say.  I already have a pile of books to read so, if you'll excuse me, I have something to do.