Thursday, January 31, 2019

Thinking about Pastor David Schultz

Sometimes people ask, "Why did you want to become a pastor?" This is my story.

I was in my junior year at Mesa High School. Great things were happening for me - making the basketball team and getting to meet and make a bunch of new friends.  As I arrived home after practice one day I found my parents sitting in our living room with a stranger.  He introduced himself at Pastor David Schultz and explained that he had just been called to serve at Pilgrim Lutheran Church.  He invited our family to worship  that Sunday.

As we talked I made an amazing discovery - he loved sports! I thought that pastors just talked about God all day.  Not only could Pastor Schultz talk sports, he played sports! Later on I discovered that he was a first class fast pitch softball hitter and pitcher and that he was a low handicap golfer.

We did attend church that Sunday and I was impressed.  Pastor Schultz was a fine preacher and, as I later learned, an outstanding Bible teacher.  We all went home that day feeling that we had found our church.

As the weeks went on Pastor Schultz took a real interest in me.  One day I was at home when the phone rang and Pastor Schultz was on the line.  He explained that he had to visit one of our members who had been hospitalized and wondered if I would like to go along with him. You bet! I enjoyed being with him and got to see him working at his vocation.  After that, he called again and again and invited me to go with him and I did.

During those visits I saw Romans 10:17 come alive: "Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message and the message is heard through the Word of Christ."

On those visits I had a front row seat and watched as Pastor Schultz used the Word of God to touch and change the lives of others.

We met a woman who had just been dumped by her husband.  The rejection hurt and I felt sorry for her but Pastor Schultz gave her more - comfort through the Word of God.

We met a man who had just been diagnosed with cancer.  Fear came over the man and I felt sorry for him but Pastor Schultz gave him more - peace through the Word of God.

We met some parents who had just discovered that their son's girlfriend was pregnant and their boy was the father.  They were broken up and I felt sorry for them but Pastor Schultz gave them more - hope through the Word of God.

I got a phone call very late one night  Sherri, I and the kids were fast asleep.  It was Pastor Schultz explaining that one of our members, a young wife and mother, had died suddenly and unexpectedly.  Would I come with him?

When we arrived we encountered a family in shock.  Some of them were hysterical.  I was a little frightened.  What could anyone do for this grieving family? Pastor Schultz asked them all to bow their heads in prayer.  When he was finished, he took the young husband and father away to speak with him privately.  I remained with the rest of the family.  There was still a great sadness in the room and tears were being shed. But I realized how that prayer, peppered with God's Word, had brought comfort to them.

I believe all that time I spent with Pastor Schultz was just a meaningful and invaluable as the time I spent as Seminary.  I came to see first hand that faith really does come from hearing the message and the message is heard though the Word of Christ.

Our catechism teaches that the Gospel is the good news of our salvation in Jesus and through the Gospel God gives forgiveness of all our sins; gives us faith to trust and believe in Jesus and all His promises to save and forgive and bless; gives us the hope of eternal life in heaven; gives us the desire to please God with good works of love and compassion to others.

It is such a privlege to share God's Word with others.  That's why I wanted to be a pastor.  I watched my pastor give the Word of God to others.  I wanted to do the same.

What is the first love of the church?  I believe it is the proclamation of God's Word and the sharing of God's gifts of grace, Baptism and the Lord's Supper.  As the church we get to tell and show the amazing love of our beautiful Savior with our neighbors and the world.  The Word gives us hope for daily living.  The Word has the power to relieve guilt consciences.  The Word provides solid direction when it seems there is nowhere else to turn. 

I can count four of five men who have been instrumental in my life, through the example they set and the time and interest they shared with me.  But none of them has been as important in my life as David Schultz - my Pastor.