Thursday, January 24, 2019

Thinking about Rod Pigg

It was a luncheon invitation.  Rod Pigg and I had never done lunch before.  And usually a free lunch often came either with a complaint about something the church was doing or a pitch for something the church ought to be doing.  Quite often I left the table with a bad case of indigestion.

But this was different.  Rod said, "Pastor, I have no hidden agenda.  But I am concerned about you."

Rod told me about his professional career.  He had been a highly successful insurance executive.  At one time he had managed over 200 agents.  He said, "As you can imagine, it takes a lot of time and effort to lead a sales force like that."

His success came with a price.  "I was working so hard and putting in so many hours that I began neglecting my health," said Rod.  He was certain that the stress of work had led to a couple of heart attacks.

Then Rod said, "Pastor, I see how hard you work.  Please take care of yourself.  Don't be afraid to retire.  I don't want you to do to yourself what I did."

I am blessed with a very supportive congregation.  During my struggles with depression many have reached out to me with their love and support.

But here was a man who I didn't yet know very well who did have an agenda of sorts - his concern for my health.  I left the table that day thanking God for a luncheon that didn't give me indigestion but something much, much greater.

We had more of those lunch time meetings over the past few years.  There was no church business to be done.  Instead, we talked about our families, summer traveling, Rod's golf game (his was so much more interesting to talk about than mine!).  We fought over the check.  Rod would say, "This was my invitation - I should get the check."  But God had given me a wonderful gift - Rod's friendship.  I was glad to pay for our meal.  My little way of saying "thank you" for the special time we had together.

I was shocked when I heard the news that Rod had passed away last Friday.  Since his retirement he was devoted to his health, getting lots of exercise, watching his diet.  It is hard to estimate just how much he will be missed by his dear family and the many friends he had made over the years.

My consolation is Rod's confession of Jesus Christ, his Lord and Savior.  Rod and LaVonna, his wife, faithfully attended worship every Sunday.  Rod loved hearing the Word of God read and proclaimed.  He appreciated Jesus' invitation to come to the altar to partake of a meal like none other.  Rod believed that Jesus had saved him from sin and death. Being in the Lord's house was so important to him.

Now, Rod rests in the arms of Jesus.  One day Jesus will come again.  He will raise our lowly bodies and they will be new - no more tears, no more disease, no more depression.  And all those who confessed Jesus will be gathered up and taken into eternity where we will be with the Lord forever. 

The Bible doesn't tell us everything about heaven and what we can expect.  But if I am able, I'll be looking to stand shoulder to shoulder with Rod, singing praises forever to God and the Lamb.

What a reunion that will be!