Monday, January 10, 2022

TGW - hot off the press!

 

TGW – Jan. 10-15, 2022

Monday, January 10, 2022                                  Read Joshua 8:10-29

See verse 18 again – how easy it would have been for Joshua to have said, “Really, Lord?” But Joshua obeys and takes God at His Word and Ai, his army and city are thoroughly destroyed.  Israel wins a mighty victory, orchestrated by the Lord.  Pray: As Joshua followed Your instructions, help me, God, to do Your will too.  Amen.

 

Tuesday, January 11, 2022                                  Read Joshua 8:30-35

“This event rededicates the people to the covenant and announces to those in the Promised Land that God has come to claim the land.  The Law is written in stone to remind the people it has not gone away.”  (Lutheran Study Bible, page 354).  Pray: Lord, as Your covenant was reestablished with Israel, so let me rejoice in the New Covenant You have given to me through Christ Jesus.  Amen.

 

Wednesday, January 12, 2022                           Read Psalm 13:1-6

Ever find yourself becoming impatient? That is the temptation David felt.  Yet, he does not let such feelings get the best of him.  He teaches us an important lesson.  In times of despair, keep on trusting in the Lord who promises to work all things for our good, His dear children.  Pray: Forgive me, O Lord, when I fail to trust in Your promises.  You hear me when I pray.  Receive my praise this day.  Amen.

 

Thursday, January 13, 2022                                Read Matthew 12:38-50

Important – a demand for miracles is prior evidence that no miracle will be believed.  Jesus’ response points to the greatest miracle of all – and one that the Pharisees will reject as well.  Pray: Dear Father, thank You for claiming me as Your child, a brother or sister of Jesus.  Amen.

 

Friday, January 14, 2022                                      Read Matthew 13:1-17

This familiar parable drives home an important point – it teaches us how the Gospel takes root in us and yields great blessings.  It is impossible to have God’s Word take root in a calloused heart.  Pray: Jesus, keep me safe in Your Word so that my eyes see and my ears hear of Your wondrous love for me.  Amen.

 

Saturday, January 15, 2022                                 Read Galatians 4:21-31

Abraham took matters into his own hands, so to speak, when Hagar gave birth to Ishmael.  This displeased God who made Abraham wait 14 years before Isaac was born.  A person trying to save themselves will suffer God’s wrath for no one can live the perfect life required by God.  A person who trusts in God alone for salvation is a free child of God.  Pray: Lord, let me rejoice in the Gospel of Jesus for in Him I have salvation and life eternal.  Amen.