Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Why memorization? - It's good for your prayer life!

A couple of weeks ago I wrote that I was going have a single New Year's resolution - memorize Scripture.  There are many good reasons for doing so.  But one of the best ones is that memorization of Bible verses can add a new dimension to daily prayer time.

For example, using some of the verses I've memorized so far:

Gracious God, heavenly Father, thank You for the gift of faith that enables me to be sure of what I hope for and certain of what I do not see.  Help me to rely on You more and not on my own understanding.  You teach that the prayer of a righteous person is power and effection.  Help me to be faithful to set aside time every day for You.  You speak to me in Your Word.  Open my ears so that I hear Your Word and obey it.  I praise You for the love and grace You give me each day.  Of this I have no doubt for all who believe in Your Son, Jesus, shall not perish but have everlasting life.  Bless this day and all I say and do.  May it be done for Your glory and praise.  In Jesus' name.  Amen.

Do you recognized the verses used in the prayer.  In order they are: Hebrews 11:1; Proverbs 3:5; James 5:16 b; Luke 11:28; John 3:16.

I don't know about you but sometimes while I'm praying I can get tongue-tied.  I struggle to speak the words of my heart.  Having those memorized verses on the top of your head, so to speak, can be the launching pad needed to speak to God about your own needs and the needs of others.

So, give it a try.  See how rewarding it can be when you Treasure God's Word in this way.  Let me know how it goes for you - gspicer2@cox.net - is a good place to reach me.

God's best to you today!