Monday, January 31, 2022

TGW - January 31 to February 5, 2022

 This week we continue with readings from Joshua, the Psalms, Matthew's Gospel and Galatians. This week's Memory Verse is 1 Timothy 1:15 - Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst.  Have a great week!

TGW – January 31-February 5, 2022

Monday, January 31, 2022                                  Read Joshua 23:1-11

Joshua reminds the people that God kept His promises to them.  Vs. 3 – God enabled them to topple the nations; Vs. 7 – His Word is good and brings blessings; Vs. 11 – God’s kept promises moves them to love the Lord.  Pray: Lord, help me be very careful so that nothing would keep me from giving my love, my heart to You.  Amen.

 

Tuesday, February 1, 2022                                  Read Joshua 24:1-15

We might title this reading, “The Choice.”  In the opening verses, did you notice the personal pronoun, “I’?  All that the people experienced, all the blessings they had received, had come from God alone.  Then Joshua gives them a choice – choose the God that You will serve (should be a “no-brainer,” right?).  But for Joshua and his household, they will serve the Lord, the true God.  Pray: God, thank You for Your many blessings.  Give me joy as I serve You.  Amen.

 

Wednesday, February 2, 2022                           Read Psalm 18:1-6

A short but interesting reading.  God as rock means much more than simply a large rock.  This rock is something like a fortress, a place to flee for protection.  Throughout the Psalm, David describes how God his Rock has delivered him from his enemies.  Pray: Rock of ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee.  Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling.  Amen.

 

Thursday, February 3, 2022                                Read Matthew 14:1-12

What a weak and fearful leader is Herod.  He wants to kill John but is afraid of the people who believe John is a prophet.  Then he fears he will look too weak if he fails to carry out John’s death.  The one he should be afraid of is God for having put the forerunner of Jesus to death!  Pray: God, give me courage to speak Your truth no matter the cost.  Amen.

 

Friday, February 4, 2022                                      Read Matthew 14:13-21

Poor Jesus! He doesn’t even have time to mourn the passing of the Baptizer.  Meanwhile, in this familiar story we find the disciples completely befuddled – where are we going to find enough food for the people to eat? Jesus gives them one more reason to look to Him when the situation seems impossible.  Pray: Jesus, help me keep my eyes firmly focused on You when seemingly impossible problems come my way.  Amen.

 

Saturday, February 5, 2022                                 Read Galatians 5:22-33

Some readers don’t get past verse 22.  That word “submit” seems too harsh, too much to ask of a wife.  Perhaps a better way to look at the verses is – wives, love your husbands enough that you will live for them.  Husbands, love your wives enough to die for them.  This is true love, sacrificial love, the kind of love Jesus has for each of us.  Pray: Jesus, You care for Your church.  Give to us Your gifts of grace as we come into Your presence tomorrow in worship.  Amen.