Thursday, July 26, 2012

Chip Hilton - my hero

My favorite sports hero didn't even exist - except in the mind of one man, Clair Bee.

When I was a kid growing up in Tucson, I spent hours reading and re-reading the Chip Hilton sports stories.  Clair Bee was a famous college athlete and, later, coach.  I don't know how he found the time to write books as well.  But starting in the 1940's and through the 60's, Bee crafted a wonderful series of stories around the fictional hero, Chip Hilton.

Hilton was someone that a youngster like myself could look up to.  I loved sports and played them all, just like Hilton.  By reading the books I learned lessons about character, fair play, being a good friend, giving my all and winning (but not at all costs).  My dad, who was an insurance auditor, had as one of his customers a bookstore.  Every time he visited the store he took me along and allowed me to buy a new Chip Hilton book.  Over time I probably collected a dozen or so of the stories.

When we moved to Mesa, in 1968, I gave the books away to younger friends in the neighborhood.  What a fool! The books are now out of print and have become collectors items.  So, as I find a Chip Hilton book at Goodwill or Savers I buy it.

Earlier this week I was looking around Half Price Books when I discovered, under lock and key, a Chip Hilton book.  It carried a hefty price tag so all I did was look.  When I got home that evening, I told my wife about my find and she said, "Why didn't you buy it!" Well, that was a green light if I've ever heard one!

I went back the next day and purchased the book.  I'm better than half-way through it but I'm trying to read slowly, trying to savor the joy of reconnecting with an old friend and a great hero.