Monday, July 9, 2012

Where's Jesus

When my dear, sweet wife and I are on vacation, we like having the opportunity to visit other churches.  It's always helpful to see how other congregations worship and how they welcome visitors.

Yesterday we visited one of the big box mega-churches on our side of town.  The service started right on time.  Approximately 59 minutes later, I finally hear the name, "Jesus," mentioned.

I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised.  The opening three songs that were sung were dominated by the personal pronouns, "I, me, my."  Each song cast the spotlight on what "I" was going to do for God.  God was not the principle actor in this service.  That was easily seen by the fact that although the church did have a few crosses, they were on either side of the stage the band was singing from. 

The sermon was very much a law-oriented message that centered on the what the hearers needed to do to get right with God.  Nearly an hour into the service, I finally heard the name of Jesus and his forgiveness.  It was a cursory reference and then the speaker got right back to telling everyone that if they were real Christians they would get around to thus and so.

Why am I so disappointed? What's the big deal about Jesus?

It is through Jesus that we have access to God the Father.  It's through faith in Jesus' suffering, death and resurrection that believers are justified before God, declared forgiven of their sins for Jesus' sake, and receive the promise of everlasting life.  That's the good news of the Gospel.  The Gospel gives life.  It assures us that our salvation is not "do" but "done."  And because of the love of Jesus, we want to serve our neighbors.  It's a joy to serve the Lord.  God's love motivates us to do so.

Lutheran Worship is such a blessing.  You don't have to go looking for Jesus.  He is the principle actor, the spotlight always shines on the Lord - His forgiveness, peace, comfort and assurance.  Hymns, unlike praise choruses, have real substance.  God's Word is read, proclaimed and prayed.  The Lord's Supper brings Jesus and His forgiveness to every person who comes to the table.  The name of God is placed on the heads of the worshippers as they prepare to leave church and return to their homes. 

If you join us at Life in Christ some Sunday, I guarantee you that it won't take 59 minutes for you to hear the name Jesus!