Wednesday, July 18, 2012

If you're gonna brag, brag about Jesus!

You know how it is with reading the Scriptures, right?  You can read a passage or chapter a dozen times and then in the 13th reading you have one of those enlightening moments and you wonder, "Why didn't I see that before."

That's what happened to me today as I was working my way through 2 Corinthians 11.  The apostle Paul is dealing with the frustration of some false prophets who have begun to exert a deadly influence over some of the Corinthians.  These "super apostles" as Paul mockingly calls them, have come to Corinth to preach a different Gospel than the one preached by Paul and they have attacked Paul's credentials.  These opponents have spent much time boasting about their spirituality while tearing down Paul's ministry.

In chapter 11, Paul goes on the offensive - but he hates every moment of it.  To boast of what he has done in ministry is to stoop to the level of his opponents.  To boast about oneself is, according to Paul, "foolishness."  The world and worldly people brag about themselves, how wonderful they are, how much they know, how spiritual they are.  As you read the chapter, you almost feel the sense that Paul has dirtied himself, stooping down to their level.  Paul would always rather point to Jesus Christ - for in Christ there is forgiveness, salvation, righteousness and peace. 

For some reason I hadn't really caught the impact of chapter 11 in my previous readings.  I suppose I am tempted, like you, from time to time to boast about my accomplishment (or what I think I've accomplished).  And usually this happens when I've been with another person or group of people who are boasting about something they've done or something their church has accomplished.  But Paul makes it clear - you stoop down to the level of those around you when you choose their tactics instead of simply letting what God has done through you speak for itself.  I have a feeling I'll be pondering Paul's words all day and probably offering a prayer for forgiveness for all the times I boasted foolishly.

From there I went on to do today's readings in the Treasury of Daily Prayer, an excellent resource from Concordia Publishing House.  I couldn't help but smile as I read the Hymnody appointed for the day:

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast
  Save in the death of Christ, my Lord
All the vain things that charm me most
  I sacrifice them to His blood.

From "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" Lutheran Service Book, #426, verse 2