Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Luther...on the 6th Petition

Here is a great quote from Luther's Large Catechism: Though I am now chaste, patient, kind and in firm faith, the devil will this very hour send such an arrow into my heart that I can scarcely stand.  For he is an enemy that never stops or becomes tired.  So when one temptation stops, there always arise others and fresh ones.

So there is no help or comfort to run here, take hold of the Lord's Prayer, and speak to God from the heart like this: "Dear Father, You have asked me to pray.  Don't let me fall because of temptations."

As usual, Luther is right on the money.  The apostle Peter compared the devil to a roaring lion, always on the prowl, never satisfied, always hungry, ever on the lookout for another soul to destroy.    

Will you include Luther's petition in your daily prayers? "Lord, don't let me fall because of temptations.  Amen."