Thursday, September 13, 2012

"Straight Talk" by Pastor Mark Jeske

I had some time to do a little reading yesterday so I was glad to work my way through the new book by my friend, Pastor Mark Jeske of the "Time of Grace" television program.  He has written a new book entitled "Straight Talk - Answers from God's Word," publishing by Concordia Publishing House.

Turns out his many viewers are an inquiring bunch.  Over the years Pastor Jeske has received hundreds of questions about Bible verses or chapters, Christian doctrine and how a believer deals with the challenges of every day life.  The book arranges these questions in seven different categories.  There are a couple of helpful indexes in the back of the book as well.

Two things I really liked about "Straight Talk."  First, Pastor Jeske isn't afraid to tackle the hard questions.  Some of the questions he dealt with were, "Why did God create a world that He knew would fall into sin?" "How should I respond to my friends who think living together before marriage is a good way to 'try out' marriage to see if it will work for them?" "The Lord's Supper confuses me. How can we receive anything spiritual from a small glass of wine and a little wafer?" And then there was this interesting question: "I love to eat.  Heaven to me will include food.  What do you think?"

The other thing I liked about the book is that all the answers Pastor Jeske gives are based not on his opinion but on the Word of God.  It's God's Word that gives us confidence when we are unsure about how we are to live with the Lord and with others.  The Word provides reassurance of our Father's care and peace and love.  Pastor Jeske's shepherd's heart shine through in the answers he offers, based on the solid and unchanging Word of God.

Add this book to your library at home.  I'll bet you'll find questions others have asked you.  You might find some questions you've had as well.  You too will appreciate the "Straight Talk" that Pastor Jeske offers.