Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Do you know where your baptismal certificate is?

Mine is hanging up in my office.  It marks perhaps the most important moment in my earthly life (yeah, that does sound like a pretty strong statement).

I don't remember what happened that day.  I was too young.  But that piece of paper points me back to the day that God called me by the Gospel...called me by my name...marked me with the sign of Jesus' cross...adopted me into His kingdom...gave me His Holy Spirit...washed me of all my unrighteousness...gave me the new life in Christ...opened heaven to me.

I've enjoyed other milestone events in my life since then.  Being married to my dear, sweet wife...the birth of our kids...ordination as a pastor in the Lord's church...the birth of my grandkids.  But all of that would be pretty meaningless without having received the rich grace of God in my life through my baptism.

Do you know where your baptismal certificate is? If you have to, dig it out of a storage box or retrieve it from underneath all the stuff in that drawer.  If you can, frame it.  Put it someplace where you can see it every day.  Celebrate the anniversary of your baptism.  Give thanks to God that He is truly your Heavenly Father and that you are His dear son or daughter.  In baptism, you are with Christ Jesus.  Praise be to God!