Thursday, January 31, 2013

The day of the headache

Yesterday was one of those days.  I woke up at about 4 am with a headache.  Didn't seem too severe.  Got up and took a couple of aspirin and laid back down for about 45 minutes.  My head still hurt but it seemed like I was managing OK.

I drank what seemed like gallons of coffee.  Caffeine is supposed to help in headache prevention.  Went through my morning routine and still felt like I could get through the day.  Yeah, everything was going to be OK.

But by the time I got to church, around 7:30 am, I began to feel that my head was lying in a vice and some diabolical rascal was slowly exerting pressure.  I took some strong medication that I had brought with me, praying that it would bring relief.

It didn't.  I know better.  If I don't get out in front of a migraine I can expect a very long, painful day.  By 9 am I knew I had to go home.  My head was feeling like it might explode and my tummy was rebelling as well.  I gave a few instructions to Connie, our administrative assistant extraordinaire and I left.

I got home, took some heavy duty medication that my doctor has prescribed and tried to get as comfortable and as still as I possibly could.  My cats saw me in the recliner and thought that I was inviting them to join me.  I quickly made it clear to them that I wanted to be left alone.  It took a few hours but finely I could feel that I was turning a corner.  I fell asleep in the afternoon and work up at 5 pm and realized something glorious - my head wasn't hurting very much! What joy! Prayer answered!  By the time my dear, sweet wife got home, I felt almost normal and read to eat a little dinner.  Then it was off to bed.

Today, I'm in migraine fog.  That's what the second day always feels like.  Having lost a day, I've got tons of work to do.  I'll get caught up.  I'll do so while feeling better.  And, I'm reminded to pray again that I should not take my good health for granted but to give thanks to God for the blessing of a headache-free day.  God is good.