Thursday, January 10, 2013

Happy anniversary...to me!

Yesterday brought with it a trip down memory lane.  In was on January 9, 2005 that I was installed as pastor of Life in Christ Lutheran Church.

My dear, sweet wife and I (along with our beloved cat, Hope) left Hilton Head Island on Dec. 31.  We ushered in the new year in Jackson, Mississippi.  The following night, after a very long day in the car, we stopped in McAllen, Texas.  The following evening we were greeted by our kids when we arrived in Peoria.

The next day we closed on our home.  Next, one of the members of our new church family arranged to have the inside of the house painted for the cost of the paint - what a blessing!  By the end of the week, the moving truck arrived, driven by a guy who had a voice that sounded like actor Mark Harmon (that was cool - my wife and I are huge NCIS fans!).

Sunday morning we worshipped with our new church family and later that afternoon I was formally installed as pastor.  The service was held at Fountain of Life in Sun City.  My dear friend and pastor, Rev. David Schultz, gave the sermon.  The congregation worked so hard to make it a memorable day for me and my family.  We felt truly welcomed.

Much has happened at Life in Christ in these past eight years.  We outgrew our first house of worship and we finding ourselves feeling pinched for space again.  We've watched as the Holy Spirit has worked mightily through Word and sacraments, bringing people to faith and leading them to produce fruit of faith in their lives.  People who visit LICL find a group of warm and friendly people and that is good.  They also hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ and that is even better.

I often thank the Lord for calling me to serve in this place.  My family and I are so blessed to be here.  Praise the Lord!