Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A little dose of Luther every day

Lately I've been feeling guilty about the Luther's Works sitting on my book shelves.  Specifically, that I wasn't really using them as much as I wanted to.

I get Rev. Scott Murray's email blast every morning and he often includes a healthy dose of Luther.  But I wanted more.

I did some checking on the internet and learned that about 30 years ago (give or take a year) George Kraus had written a small booklet that offered suggested reading from Luther's Works for every single day.

Just one problem - the booklet is out of print and it seems that you can't find it anywhere.  I know because I tried.

Coming to the rescue was Rev. Robert Smith from Concordia Theological Seminary in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.  He told me that a copy of Kraus' booklet was in the Seminary Library and that they would send it to me. 

I've spent the past week making notes of the readings so now I'm ready to begin.  As I mine Luther's Works for nuggets, I'll pass them along to you.

Here's one gem: For faith does not rest and declare a holiday; it bursts into action, speaks and preaches of this promise and grace of God, so that other people may also come up and partake of it.

Luther's Works, Volume 15, page 273.