Thursday, June 20, 2013

Dad, we can't leave now!

Although I only watched a few minutes of Tuesday's NBA game, I heard lots of talk yesterday about the many Miami fans who left the game early because it appeared that their team was going to lose, only to rush back to the arena and try to get back in when Miami rallied (Whew! That was a long sentence!).

It reminded me of a time when I tried to leave a game early.

My dear, sweet wife and the kids and I were vacationing in San Diego.  I suggested to Sherri that Eric and I could drive out to Jack Murphy stadium to see the Padres play.  Sherri was all for it.  She thought it would be a great Father-Son outing.  It also meant that she would not have to go with me - Sherri finds baseball kind of boring.

Eric and I got to the stadium and were able to purchase really good seats, not too far behind the Padres dugout.  We settled in and looked forward to a great game.

Unfortunately, the Padres got pummeled.  They fell behind quickly and one relief pitcher after another could not stem the onslaught.

About the 7th inning, I said to Eric, "You ready to go?"  Eric asked, "WHY?"

"Well, the Padres are behind by 10 runs.  This game is over."

"NO IT'S NOT! THEY COULD COME BACK AND WIN THE GAME!"

"Eric, I'm telling you, this game is over.  Why don't we just leave now?"

"BUT IT'S NOT OVER, DAD! THERE'S THREE MORE INNINGS! THE PADRES COULD STILL WIN!"

Let me tell you, the Padres did not win.  There was no exciting comeback.  I know because we stayed until the very end of the game.

But I was reminded of something that I had lost sight of.

The faith of a child.

Eric believed that the Padres could still win the game.  As long as there were innings to be played, Eric had hope.

It's that very faith and hope that is needed when we become ill or when we lose our job or when our marriage seems to be falling apart or when any number of difficulties or troubles come our way.

How tempting it is to give up. 

But to quit before the game ends? We just might miss what Jesus can do for us.

Child-like faith in Jesus helps us to stay in the game so that the Lord has the time to help us with our health or open a door of opportunity or show us how to patch up our marriage.

The Padres couldn't have won that game if they'd played 18 innings.  But where Jesus is, the game is never over. 

Easter Sunday proves it.  In His resurrection Jesus fashioned the greatest victory from seeming defeat the world has ever seen. 

In the Gospel Jesus talks about the importance of child-like faith.

I saw it on display one evening in San Diego.

Eric's example reminds me to this day to not check out early....at the baseball game or in the daily circumstances of life.

Who knows what miracle finish Jesus has planned for you?  Trust Him! He is your hope!