Friday, June 28, 2013

My summer reading list

is light! No heavyweight reading here.  I'm a little embarrassed by this list.  But it's hot, it's going to be 119 degrees in Phoenix today so some lightweight reading is in order.

"Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham - it is the story of a washed up football player who is so bad that the only gig he can get is playing quarterback for a team in Italy.  Grisham non-legal thriller stuff is always good so I'm looking forward to reading this one.

"Chasing the Game" by Filip Bondy - is about the 2010 USA Soccer team and their appearance in the World Cup event.  About 8 years ago I started watching the Fox Soccer Channel and finally learned why soccer is called "The Beautiful Game."  Although the book is a couple of years old, it will surely whet my appetite for next year's World Cup.

"Fiery Fullback" by Clair Bee - is about fictional sports hero, Chip Hilton.  When I was a kid I read this series over and over.  The hardback books are out of print and collectors items.  The series made a return about 10 years ago in paperback.  "Fiery Fullback" was never published - Bee's publisher felt that boys were no longer reading about sports heroes, mostly because boys could watch their heroes on television.  I found this book in a Savers store and it cost me 73 cents!

"What They Need to Hear" by Klemet I. Preus - is actually a series of letter written by Preus to his father in law.  The letters give testimony to the new life in Christ and a call for the father in law to return, in repentance and faith, to the Lord.  The subtitle of the book is "Sharing Christ with Family and Friends."

So if you find me on a beach or sitting on the porch of a mountain top cabin, don't laugh or sneer at my lightweight list.  I'll try to do better in the fall.