Thursday, September 19, 2013

The headline in the paper is wrong. Jesus saved Brian Welch!

That's what Brian Welch says!

All of you who are fans of the band, Korn, know the name.  Didn't know the band or who Brian Welch was.  But the headline in our local paper read, "Simpsons helped Korn guitarist get clean."

Welch told the reporter, "I was living for myself, just living for the pleasure, doing stuff you know you have no business doing, where your heart is saying, 'No' - cocaine and pills just every night and not having a grip on your drinking, just drenching your liver with alcohol every day.  It ruined everything.  My creativity.  It took my happiness away.  I was just a slave to the high.  So I wanted to turn my life around."

Sound like the story found in every autobiography of nearly every rock performer I've ever read. 

But then something unusual happened to Welch.  He started watching the Simpsons.

His eye was not on Bart or Homer but on next door neighbor, Ned Flanders.

Flanders is portrayed as a Christian man and usually the butt of every joke on the show.

Welch liked the fact that Flanders was always happy.  He wanted his "happy" back.

Welch says, "So I went to church.  And everything came back to life after a few years of going through some soul cleansing...everything - my happiness, my music and my creativity."

Welch actually left the band for a time.  He released a statement saying that he'd "chosen Jesus Christ as his Savior, and will be dedicating his musical pursuits to that end."

So, as it turns out, the headline in the paper was all wrong.

It wasn't the Simpsons that changed Brian Welch's life.  It was Jesus Christ.

Going to church made the difference.  It usually does.  In worship, God comes and serves all those who come to His house.  He gives gifts of forgiveness and peace.  He speaks His Word and the Holy Spirit works through that Word to create faith so that all who come can embrace Jesus as their Savior and start living the new life in Christ.

Not to quibble but I'd suggest the Welch that he didn't choose Jesus so much as Jesus chose him - see John 15:16.  Still, I get what he's saying.  Welch chose to follow Jesus and to leave the lifestyle of the rich and unhappy behind.

As for Korn, well, I just checked out some of their music at the iTunes store.  Think I'll stick to "I Want To Hold Your Hand!"  But good for Brian Welch just the same.  I hope he keeps going to church, worshipping the Lord, and giving testimony to the power of God's love whenever he gets the chance.