Friday, September 20, 2013

They say it's your birthday

So happy birthday to all of you who share this birth date with me!

Not sure why but this morning I woke up trying to answer the question, "What was your most memorable birthday?" Number 16 is the winner.

It somehow worked out that I would be able to take the driving test on my birthday in order to get my license.  After school my Dad took me down to the Motor Vehicle office and I took the test.  I used my turn signals correctly, maintained the proper distance while following another car, kept my hands on the stirring wheel at 10 and 2 and after 10 minutes or so, I was told that I passed.  Inwardly I did some cartwheels.  I got my picture taken, was handed a slip of paper and told that my official license would be coming in the mail.  We headed back home with me in the driver's seat, huge smile plastered on my face.

We had cake and ice cream and I opened a couple of presents.  When we had finished, my Dad asked, "Isn't there anything you want to say?"  I thought I'd already said "Thank you" for the gifts so I was stumped.  He said, "Don't you want to ask, 'Can I have the car?'"  Then, with a smile on his face, he tossed me the car keys and said, "Be back by sundown."

Wow! Had aliens taken over my Dad's body? He was not normally that generous.  I went out to the car, started the engine and wondered, "Where am I going to go?"  I hadn't expected this gift! So I drove over to see a couple of friends, bragged about how easy the driving test was and had the car back home before sundown, just as I was instructed.

I'm working today so I don't know how much time I'll have to reflect back on these years that the Lord has given me.  I'm thankful for my dear, sweet wife, my kids and grandkids, the many friends I've made through the years and the work that I've been privileged to do. 

And in a few weeks I'll celebrate another birthday - my baptismal birthday.  That's the day the Lord called me by name, placed his sign on my forehead and heart and adopted me into his family.  There won't be a cake to eat or presents to open.  But prayers of thanksgiving will be offered to the God who loved me enough to send His Son, Jesus Christ, to be the atoning sacrifice for my sins and the sins of the whole world.  How special is that?