Tuesday, November 5, 2013

We're on a roll!

With our football picks, that is! A friend of mine, Michele, and I are in a football pool at her work.  I am her expert "picker."  Michele asked me to participate with her a few years ago.  She explained that she used to make her picks and did it in a very unusual way.  She said, "I would look at the two teams, decide which city I would like to travel to and make my pick!"  Needless to say, that wasn't really a winning formula.

The first year I picked with her we won twice and that got my competitive juices flowing.  Soon I was checking a bunch of different websites to read what the experts were thinking about the weekly schedule of games.  Then I realized that I was spending too much time on making the picks and when we didn't win, I'd really get upset. 

I no longer consult the experts in making our picks.  My thinking on this is pretty simple.  I focus on the team's record, winning or losing streak and who the home is.

Though I don't have the stats to back it up, I think the home field does provide an advantage.  That probably caries more weight with me than just about anything else. 

So far this year we were almost winners in two different weeks until the our picks in the Monday night game were misses.  But now we've won two weeks in a row.  So I'm sticking with my strategy.  And I like it when we win.  It gives Michele bragging rights around her office which is good for her.

You think Vegas might come calling, asking me to share with them my special gifts for picking winners?

Nah!