Monday, June 2, 2014

A bittersweet countdown

Tomorrow my youngest daughter and my youngest grandson leave for their new home in Wisconsin.  My son-in-law has been there for about 3 weeks now.  He can't wait for the rest of his family to join him.

We're excited for their new opportunity.  It's a step forward in what I'm sure will be a long and successful career for my son-in-law.

But I will miss him a lot, especially when the NFL season arrives in the fall.  We both love football and had a great time watching the games together.  Also, my son-in-law is a master griller and that skill is already missed!

And we will miss our time with our grandson.  Since my daughter is a stay-at-home working mother we've had the opportunity to see our grandson several times a week.  Watching him grow and develop has been a joy for us.

And each one of my kids is very special.  They each are gifted in many different ways and it is exciting for their Mom and I to see them grow both personally and professionally.

Katie is the light of our family.  She brightens every conversation.  Her sense of humor shines.  Her care and compassion for her family and for others illuminates our lives in ways we could have never imagined.  We will miss her so.

So today's a good day for us to be together, to make the most of the day and to give thanks to God for all this time we've had together.  We have many friends whose kids are spread out all over the country.  We've had the blessing of having had them all together.

God is good.  May He go with and bless Josh, Katie and Drew.