Monday, June 23, 2014

Putting it into perspective

As the game neared its end, I thought I was witnessing a moment that was as significant as when the USA hockey team upset the Soviet Union in the 1980 Olympic Games.

As the clock wound down in stoppage time we began to chant, "USA! USA! USA!"

Then, suddenly, Portugal had the ball.  Then, seemingly, in the blink of an eye, that ball found its way past goal keeper, Tim Howard, and into the back of the net.  The game was tied 2-2.  And that's how it ended.

When does a tie feel like a loss?

When you let in the tying goal on the last play of the game.

When six points becomes four and your automatic placement in to the round of 16 has to be earned by winning or tying one more game.

When you realize that it's possible that your team, the USA, might not get out of their group.

So I listened to the talking heads after the game.  Many kept saying, "If you'd told the USA team that they would have 4 points after two game in the tourney, they would have gladly taken it."

Such talk didn't make me feel any better.

So I felt sick last night.  Thankfully, Robert Fulghum has helped me put all of this into perspective.

Fulghum once wrote, "If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you've got a problem.  Everything is is inconvenience."

The world has bigger problems and, come to think of it, I have bigger problems than the play of the USA Soccer Team at the World Cup.

All this really means is that the team has one more meaningful game to play on Thursday.  Hopefully, they'll qualify.  But it won't be the end of the world if they don't.

I still have meaningful work to do.  We have a candidate for serving as Associate Pastor coming in to visit our church this week.  I'll be leading our Cancer Support Group and offering the encouragement and hope of the Lord to those who are suffering.  There are people to speak to who are interested in becoming part of our church family.  There are others in the family who I haven't seen for a while so they need to be contacted.  There's another sermon to write and another Bible study to be put together.  Sounds like a busy week is on the books.

So, yeah, the Soccer Team ended up with a tie when victory was within their reach.

But my wife and kids still love me, my grandkids adore me, and God the Father gave His Son, Jesus, to be my Savior.

I think it's going to be a pretty good week after all.