Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Do you have a personal mission statement?

I thought I was attending a time-management seminar.  I thought I would learn some ways to be more organized and effective.  I thought I would leave with some tools that I could use to better order my time.

Instead, the first thing our leader did was to have each of us write our "personal mission statement."  He explained that until a person has a sense of who they are and what they've been called to be and do, time can never really be effectively utilized.  "Time is the most important commodity that anyone has," the leader said.  "But you'll never manage your time wisely until you have defined how and where you are to spend your time."

It dawned on me the other day that the Apostles of Jesus Christ did not need a time-management seminar.  Filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, they knew exactly how and where they were to invest their time.  Chapter 5, verse 42 says it all: Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ.

Jesus' followers received their marching orders at Bethany - Go and make disciples of all nations.  Fueled by the power of the Holy Spirit, they witnessed to the truth of Jesus' resurrection and salvation to whomever - unbelieving Pharisees and the curious citizens of Jerusalem.  Later on, when severe persecution came upon them, Jesus' disciples continued to speak boldly the Good News that had changed their lives.

Do you have a personal mission statement? Have you ever considered such a thing? Does the church you attend have a mission statement? The LICL mission statement is: Live and Grow in Christ ~ Encourage and Reach others.  This week I think I'll spend a little time thinking how the mission statement above can help me in forming a personal mission statement.  Maybe you can do the same.  It just might make a huge difference in how you spend your time.