Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Lord, do for the father what you did for the son

Dan and Janelle Berteau are two of the dearest friends Sherri and I have.  We first met as I was getting ready for my first year at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis.  Janelle showed up, unannounced, to help us move into the home we would live in while going to school.  Later, we were invited over to the Berteau's apartment for dinner and I met Dan.  19 years later our friendship has grown deeper and we continually give thanks to God for the friendship and love we've received from Dan and Janelle and their family.

Yesterday afternoon, the Berteau's youngest son, Ben, who is following in his father's footsteps by attending Concordia, received his vicarage assignment.  Ben, who is dealing with some health issues, was assigned to serve as Vicar at his field education church, St. John's Lutheran in Arnold, Missouri. This is a large, dynamic congregation in south St. Louis country and will provide Ben with a rich ministry experience.

Dan is preparing to retire as a US Navy chaplain.  In just a few months he will be free to pursue other ministry opportunities.  Dan is a compassionate, understanding pastor.  He passionately proclaims the Gospel of Jesus.  He knows how to engage with people and point them to the hope we have in Christ Jesus.  He will be an outstanding pastor for some congregation.

Would you join me in praying for Dan? He's been telling me that clergy retiring from serving in the military are having a difficult time receiving a call to serve as pastor.  Dan knows that the Lord sees his future clearly.  He is trusting that the Lord already has a church picked out for him to serve at. But the waiting is challenging.

I'm praying that it would be the Lord's will that Dan not wait too long.  I'm praying that the Lord will send Dan to a place where he can be most effective in sharing the Word and administering the Sacraments.  I'm praying that the Lord will bless Dan and Janelle with a congregation that will love and welcome them as they partner together in telling their community about the hope of Jesus.

Would you join me in praying for my brother, Dan?  Thank you!