Friday, January 20, 2017

A prayer for pastors

Lord God, You have placed me in Your Church as a bishop and pastor. You see how unfit I am to fulfill this great and responsible Office, and had it not been for Your wisdom and guidance I would long since have brought everything to destruction.  Therefore, do I cry to You.  Most willingly do I desire and conform my mouth and heart to Your service.  I desire to teach the people, and long continually to be taught Your Word. Deign to use me as Your workman, dear Lord.  Only do not forsake me, for if You forsake me, I, alone, shall bring all to nothing. Amen.

Martin Luther (1483-1546)

I love the brutal honesty and heartfelt sincerity of this prayer.  Without God's help, the leading by the Spirit and the guidance of the Word, no pastor can successfully serve the flock to whom he has been called.  Luther gets it and sets the perfect example for the rest of us who desire to be the Lord's workmen. I love this prayer.