Tuesday, December 19, 2017

A busy week of work

Yesterday I got started on the three services I need to prepare for this weekend.  The Saturday/Sunday 8 am service is nearly done.  Christmas Eve is pretty much finished, just needing a few tweaks.  Christmas Day, traditionally full of Scripture readings and hymn is done. 

Today I'll finish the services and in between Memory Cafe and lunch with one of our members I'll get started on the Christmas Eve sermon.  The title is "Moving Toward the Manger - With Praise."  Now that I've got a title, all I need is a sermon to go with it! The Sunday 8 am service covers Luke 1:59-80. We come full circle with Zechariah.  Elizabeth delivers her baby and the moment of truth comes - how will the child be named.  So I'm working on some ideas for that sermon.  And the Christmas Day sermon will be entitled, "Mary Had a Little Lamb."  There are some correlations with the birth of Christ and John the Baptist's later pronouncement, "Look, the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world."  So I'm interested in exploring that idea and seeing if it goes anywhere.

This is not just a busy week for pastors; everyone I know has a pretty full agenda this week.  Whether it's getting ready for family to visit or attending school or work events or taking care of last minute shopping for gifts, it can really get stressful.

Last week I reread the story of Mary and Martha (Luke, chapter 10).  I realized that I was becoming like Martha.  The text says she was "distracted" by all the preparations she had to make in welcoming Jesus into her home.  But Mary chose "the better thing" and simply sat at the feet of Jesus, listening to Him teach His Word of hope and eternal life.

We can't do too much about the demands of the season.  But can do something about how we deal with those demands.  Yes, get out those to-do list and work through them.  But don't let those items distract you from what is really important - celebrating and giving thanks for the baby in the manger. Jesus is Mary's little lamb and Jesus is your Savior, who takes away your sin and fills your heart with peace and joy.