Friday, December 1, 2017

Let it all go

This morning I woke up unusually anxious.  The the season of Advent and Christmas will soon be here.  It is a more stressful time for clergy.  There are extra services and sermons to prepare for along with special projects and events to plan for the upcoming year.

I was feeling the stress pretty badly.  I didn't want the dark cloud to completely envelope me again.

I sat down in my chair and started to breathe deeply - in and out, in and out.  As the anxious thoughts began to flood my mind I prayed, "Lord, I give this to you.  Lord, I give this to you."

As I relaxed and prayed eventually a peaceful feeling came over me.  I could feel my body relax.  The anxiety began to lessen.  I found myself at peace, breathing in and out quite easily.  This quiet time with God was such a blessing to me.

I may have to do this several more times today.  I've given my anxious thoughts to God.  But I have a very bad habit of taking them back.  Do you do the same?

Psalm 32:7 - "You are my hiding place; You will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance."  Praise the Lord that He is our hiding place in times of anxiety and stress.  May His unfailing love surround you and me and all who call out to Him to take our troubles away.