Thursday, January 11, 2018

My reading list for 2017

How much time do you spend reading? Do you prefer paper or reading off of your tablet? Do you listen to books being read on your way to or from work? That counts too! Did you read one book this year that changed or effected your life in some way?

I set out each year to read 24 book - 2 a month.  I met my goal and then some - 38 was the final tally. What does this mean? It may mean that when I should have been helping my dear, sweet wife with something around the house, I was somewhere reading another book.  Anyway, here are some of my favorites- maybe you'll find something that you might want to spend time with in the new year.

"Outlander" by Diane Galbadon. This is the first in a popular series of books.  It's one of two books that I read that focused on time travel and once I got started reading "Outlander" I hated to stop.

"Breaking Through Depression" by Donald P. Hall. A helpful, hope-filled book. If you struggle with depression, Hall offers good wisdom, advice and encouragement.

"A Change of Heart" by Phillip Gulley.  No one weaves a better tale than this popular author from Indiana.

"Katharina and Martin Luther" by Michelle DeRusha.  One of the best books I read last year.  The author provides keen insight into the marriage between the former nun and the great reformer.

"11-22-63" by Stephen King.  A friend recommended this book to me.  It's about a person going back in time to attempt the prevent the assassination of President John Kennedy. A massive book which was worth every minute I gave to it.

"Unscripted" by Ernie Johnson Jr.  Also on my "best book I read this year" list.  Johnson is a sports broadcaster who writes about his life and how his wife introduced him to Jesus.

"The Babes in the Woods" by Ruth Rendell.  Along with PD James, Rendell is my favorite author of detective fiction.  I have to read at least one Rendell book a year.  This one did not disappoint.

"Good dog. Stay" by Anna Quindlen.  A short but heart-warming book about man's best friend as told by a masterful writer.

"Mickey Mantle-America's Prodigal Son" by Tony Castro.  Growing up, Mantle was my favorite baseball player.  I enjoyed reading Castro's well-researched book about Mantle's life.

"Martin Luther in His Own Words" by Kilcrese and Lutzer.  2017 was the 500th anniversary of the Reformation.  Baker Books offered this outstanding book of Luther's writings as a way of introducing the great reformer to those who might not know him well.

"Being Lutheran" by Trevor Sutton.  This book serves as a good introduction to Lutheranism and also a great reminder to Lutherans on why the theology and practice of the Lutheran Church makes a difference in one's spiritual life.

"The Complete Farside" by Gary Larson.  This two volume set contains every cartoon Larson drew. I really miss his daily cartoons.  They were clever, funny, and confusing (sometimes).

"America at the Crossroads" by George Barna.  The author is a researcher and he doesn't like what he sees regarding the future of the church.  Every pastor and church leader needs to read this book.

"The Boys of Winter" by Wayne Coffey.  The story of the 1980 United States Olympic hockey team and how they upset the mighty Soviet Union team in what some call the greatest sports event ever played.

"Rawhide Down" by Del Quinton Wilber.  A minute by minute account about the attempt on the life of President Ronald Reagan.  Well done.

"The Magnolia Story" by Chip and Joanna Gaines. Sherri and I love their program, "Fixer Upper." Their life story is equally fun and fascinating.

"Dreaming the Beatles" by Rob Sheffield.  The author describes well why the Beatles are still so popular, even though they stopped touring and making records years ago.

"Anxious for Nothing" by Max Lucado.  One of his best, Lucado zeros in on the reason why people are so anxious and fearful and how one finds hope with dealing with their worries in Christ Jesus.

"Rave On - the Biography of Buddy Holly" by Phillip Norman.  I didn't realize why Holly had a massive effect on the Beatles, Rolling Stones, the Who and others until I read Norman's book.  A life ended much too soon.

"Honest Duty" by Chesley Sullenberger.  The first hand account of the man who landed an airplane in the Hudson River and lived to tell about it.

So, that's it for 2017.  Already the books are piling up on my night stand so if you'll excuse me, I have a book to read!