Friday, January 19, 2018

Two Words

It is such a comfort
to me,
such a source
of hope
and strength
and daily joy.
It gives me reason
to get up in the morning
and to press on
even
when I am discouraged
and weak
and lonely
and afraid.
It gives me reason
to face with courage
the struggles within
and the difficulties without.
It reminds me
that I can stand
before You
as I am,
completely unafraid
and ask of You
what I have asked before
and will ask again:
Your forgiveness
and Your help.
What gives me this
courage?
What offers me this
hope?
It is this one thing.
I know for certain
that there are
two words
that I’ll never hear.
I know that You will never
look me in the eye
and say to me,
“Go away!”
You will not send me
from Your presence.
You will not drive me
from Your grace.
You will not separate me
from Your glory.
You will not eliminate me
from Your promises.
You will never
ever
ever
send me away.
Because Your anger
was borne by Another.
Because my separation
was carried by Him.
Because He was
sent away, I will never
I will never be.
So, in weakness,
failure,
foolishness,
and sin,
I stand before You once more
with courage,
hope,
comfort,
and joy,
because I know
that in all the
dark things that
may be whispered to me
in this dark and fallen world
there are two words I will never hear.

And so with gratitude and joy
I get up to face the day
but as I do, I do it
without fear.
By Paul Tripp