Thursday, July 26, 2018

Praying for Steve Keim and his family too

The new columnist of the local paper's sports page, Kent Somers, offered an interesting perspective on the story of the arrest on July 4th of Arizona Cardinals General Manager, Steve Keim. 

Keim was suspended from his job for five weeks, fined $200,000 and sentenced to two days in jail for DUI.  It was reported that Keim had a blood alcohol content of more than double the legal limit.

During this time away, among other things, Keim is receiving counseling.  As Somers noted in his column, this might be an incident of a person using terrible judgment.  "Or," as Somers writes, "it might be a symptom of struggles elsewhere in his life. Only he and the people closest to him know that."

I'm glad that Keim is receiving help.  I hope his family is as well.

I would imagine they are dealing with embarrassment. How hard is it to face people after Daddy's video of his arrest is all over social media? Their must be anger over his amazing lack of judgment and putting his job and livelihood at risk. I would imagine that there are deep feelings of pain. Why wasn't Keim with his family.  Isn't 4th of July a time for backyard bar-b-q's and fireworks and the like?

I know that anyone can make a mistake. None of us is perfect.  And, as Somers writes, there might be other concerns at work that none of us know about. 

So, we need to pray for Keim.  We need to also pray for his family. 

I pray that Keim's family have a support system.  I pray that there are people who are loving them and holding them up during this difficult time. I don't know if they are people of faith, but I pray that, if possible, they might turn to a pastor or friend who can bring to them the comfort and peace that Jesus talks about in Matthew 11. And I pray that the Lord will use this awful and embarrassing situation to work the good that He can accomplish when things look their absolute worst.