Thursday, September 6, 2018

Reading Goal Achieved!

Every year I set out to read 24 books.  Two books a month.  Two weeks per book. Sounds easy enough, right?

While on vacation the last couple of weeks I read Thom Rainer's little book, "I Will," which offers tips and encouragement on how a person can be a faithful servant in the church.  When I added that title to the list - viola! That was number 24!

Given that I'm a clergy person, one might expect that all my reading would be of the religious variety. Such titles are on the list.  I've been blessed to read two great biographies from Eric Metaxas - "Martin Luther," and "Bonhoeffer." Dan Paavola's unique presentation on the Lord's Prayer - "Our Way Home" - has greatly enriched my prayer life and DA Carson's "The Farewell Discourse and the Final Prayer of Jesus" shed new light on those last minutes Jesus spent with the apostles according to the Gospel writer, John.

But I've read some good fiction too.  I've become a fan of Diana Galbadon's "Outlander" series of books. She knows how to write a captivating yarn. And I had fun reading "Belgravia," from Julian Fellows, the creator and writer of the "Downton Abbey" television series.

So, here we are in early September.  I wonder how many more books I can read before the end of the year?  I learned about author Daniel Silva, from of all things, a Costco magazine.  He writes thrillers and I'm already hooked on his book, "The English Girl."  And I review books for Baker Books on my blog so I'm sure they will have some titles coming out in the fall that I will want to read.

As I'm sure you can understand, ministry is stressful.  Over the years I've discovered that setting down with a good book enables me to relax and put the concerns of ministry on the back burner, so to speak.  I've got a full day and evening ahead of me.  But if I get home early enough tonight, I'll have but one thought - "Where's that book!"