Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Thinking about Abbey Road

It was on this date in 1969 that the Beatles released the last album they recorded together, "Abbey Road," named after the street where the EMI recording studios they used were located. 

I remember getting out of school that day and jumping in my car to head home.  Switching on the radio, I heard, "Coming up next - the new Beatles album. and we'll play it in its entirety." I listened to side one while in the car and when the station took a break to switch to side two, I ran in the house, set up a small tape recorder to listen and tape the second side.

I was thrilled with Abbey Road.  It seemed that every time the Beatles released a new album, they had broken new ground, so to speak.  The musical arrangements, the song writing, the artwork - every album better than the last one.  When I finally bought the album, it didn't leave my turntable for a long time.

Sherri and I have had the opportunity to visit Abbey Road twice - once in 2004 and again in 2011.  Here we are making our way along the famous crosswalk - the same one the Beatles strolled across as the made the cover for the album.  I shed my shoes as did Paul McCartney on the original cover.