Wednesday, December 1, 2021

God is with you

The lights were dimmed and the candles gave off a warm and welcoming glow.  My fellow students and I were positioned on the steps leading to the chancel and altar of Redeemer Lutheran Church in Tucson, telling in word and song the story of the birth of the Christ child.  We sang with all the faith and joy our hearts could muster.

O holy Child of Bethlehem

 Descend to us we pray

Cast out our sin and enter in

 Be born is us today

Did we fully understand the significance of the message we were proclaiming to parents and grandparents, friends and neighbors? I'm not sure.  I know I was concentrating really hard on remembering the words to the songs and Scripture we would sing and say.

Today, however, it really knocks me over - we were telling our part of the world that God is with us!  We need not be afraid - God is with us! We can live each day with courage - God is with us! We can even trust in the face of adversity - God is with us! Let this truth plant its roots deep in your heart this Advent season - God is with you!

We hear the Christmas angels

 The great glad tidings tell

O come to us, abide with us

 Our Lord Immanuel!