Friday, April 26, 2013

A Priceless Moment

There are moments in your life when you are filled with awe...when your heart overflows with gratitude...when your eyes fill with tears...when you just have to stop and praise God.

I had one of those moments yesterday.

I was checking my phone for text messages which I noticed one from my oldest daughter.  All it said was, "Amen!"

When I opened the text, I found a video.  I pressed the arrow for play and pictured was my 2 year old grandson, Ethan.  He wasn't speaking very loudly and I had to listen carefully.  He was saying, just for me, The Lord's Prayer. 

He had a few problems saying words like "trespasses."  I suppose that's typical for a 2 year old.  Nevertheless, he knew the prayer, his Lord and Savior's prayer.

Next, it was his brother's turn.  Some of you know that Luke was diagnosed with apraxia, a condition that impedes speech.  During the first two years of his life, we prayed nightly, "Lord, loosen his tongue!"

The Lord heard our prayer and graciously answered it.  Luke began receiving the care and training he needed.  His parents and family patiently worked with him and just kept loving him.

Now, Luke's tongue is loosened and he talks up a proverbial storm.  PTL!

Luke, being Luke, had to do things a little differently.  He tells his mother, "I will count 1-2-3 and then say it."  That's exactly what he did.

In a loud and clear voice Luke recited the introduction, the seven petitions and the conclusion.  But the time he was done, I had tears in my eyes.

Now, I know that these are not the only two grandchildren who have memorized The Lord's Prayer.  As folks in our church family know, I am a bit of nut when it comes to my grandkids (all four of them are perfect in every way:-)

Still, I can't help but give thanks that Luke and Ethan have parents who are committed to teaching them the faith in which they have been baptized.  The two boys go to church and sit through church (well, at least Luke, Ethan is still learning how to sit still) - they're learning to worship.  They attend Sunday school - they're learning more and more about the Savior that loves them so.

I thank the Lord for the work He is doing in their young lives.  And I give thanks for the priceless moment I experienced yesterday.

What can you say after that but "Amen!"