Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I lost a good friend, yesterday.

Don't worry - it's not quite as serious as it sounds.

Yesterday, I finished reading a book.

I suppose there should be some feeling of accomplishment.  Finishing off a book is kind of a big deal.  But when I've spent time reading a really good book, there is a certain sense of sadness.  Something really good or beneficial or just plain fun has come to an end.  And it's hard to say goodbye - even to a book.  Do you know what I'm talking about?

For about the last 10 days I've been reading R.A. Dickey's "Wherever I Wind Up."  Dickey is a 38 year old pitcher, currently playing for the Toronto Blue Jays.  He has knocked around baseball for a long time.  In his story he tells how he reinvented himself as a knuckle ball pitcher and through that finally found some success.

But Dickey shares so much more.  "Transparent" is a word that comes to mind.  He describes what it is like to grow up with an alcoholic mother and a distant father. He tells about the sexual abuse he endured as a young boy and what it was like to live with a secret that impacted every facet of his life.

When I read the last page of the book yesterday, I felt some sadness.  I always feel this way when I've finished reading a good book.

Now I want to find another book to read  I'm not sure what subject I'll tackle next? Theology? Fiction or non-fiction? Maybe a good biography? Something dealing with sports or entertainment?

All I know is that I'm ready to make a new friend.